Tuesday 11 October 2016

RESEARCH

RESEARCHING FILM TECHNIQUES

During the research stage, I will be looking at a variety of film techniques, particularly in cinematography to help me with my proposed project title. I am looking for shots that contribute to some sort of meaning to the story to help communicate it visually to the audience.

ONLINE SOURCES

http://www.lavideofilmmaker.com/filmmaking/film-techniques.html - Here I learnt the various camera techniques that are frequently used in movies. I will be planning to incorporate some of these techniques into the film I am making to convey meaning and evoke tension on the scenes that I plan on creating. One of the camera techniques I learned here include the over the shoulder shot. This shot helps create intimacy, drawing the viewers in to what the characters are saying. I will most likely use this shot in the classroom scene, especially when the teacher is speaking as this is where the scene has a fair amount of dialogue.

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/12/5-techniques-create-depth-make-cinematography-more-dynamic - This article explores 5 techniques that are used to create depth and dynamics in cinematography. I plan on applying these to my short film as well. I will be doing test shots of these techniques to experiment it on the early drafting of my scenes. The techniques include lighting and shading, focus, perspective, parallax and occlusion. All of these techniques help create depth and dynamics in the shot. Depth is an important part of a cinematic shot as it immerses the viewer and can even change with what they're feeling at that particular moment based on how lighting and shading is used.

http://borgus.com/hitch/hitch2011.htm - Here I learnt the techniques to build tension and suspense in film scenes. The article highlights the techniques Alfred Hitchcock uses in his films and explains what effect it gives. These techniques will help me draw interest to the audience and will create tension for the scenes that I aim to give the most effect to. The technique I will most likely take from this article are the use of close up and wide shots. The article states that a close up shot creates more emotion whilst a wider shot establishes less emotions. I will be using this in some parts of my film to visually portray the emotions of a character without the need for sound, dialogue or editing to make the project link well with the proposed project title.

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/12/6-cinematic-techniques-alfred-hitchcock-create-suspense-tv - Here I learnt more tips and techniques done by Hitchcock in his work. The tips show how to establish a location, build tension and emotion as well as give camera and editing techniques that give the most impact and meaning to the audience. I was heavily inspired by one of the techniques shown in the video which is the idea of keeping the murder happen off screen. The use of silhouettes and shadows, sound and purposefully positioning the camera away from the actual killing helps build more tension in the scene and makes the audience feel part of the scene as they are almost looking into the room like witnesses of a crime.

*NOTE* Update Review 2/11/16 - Still need to look for print based sources.

*NOTE* Update Review 24/11/16 - I looked at a DVD documentary about light and cinematography.

MEDIA SOURCES - 24/11/16


I learned a range of techniques by watching this DVD. I have drawn inspirations from a range of cinematographers, especially Gregg Toland, Stanley Cortez and Conrad Hall. I learned the importance and manipulation of blocking subjects, simple lighting effects and camera and actor positioning. I will definitely be planning to use these techniques in my short film to enhance and heighten the impact of tension to the audience.

PRINT BASED SOURCES - 7/12/16



These are two text based research that helped me think about lighting and storyboarding. I learned how to incorporate the shots on the storyboard into the practical aspect and learned how to convey meaning behind certain shots especially when associated with colour. These books also documented different cinematographers and how they work with different shots throughout different scenes. It has taught me about the complication and the importance to detail of different shots and made me pay attention more on what meaning I am trying to convey in a particular shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment