Monday 20 March 2017

EVALUATION


EPQ ARTEFACT – EVALUATION

SUCCESSES

After the completion of my project, I have found that I am overall pleased with the end result and that the artefact I produced does meet with the original brief. The main successes of my short film is that it was well developed and practiced at a professional level, following health and safety protocols as well as legal rules from pre-production to post-production. The intentional use of particular cinematography shots has been developed and researched successfully to create the visual communication needed to create meaning to the audience and to the story. During the research phase, I looked at a range of online sources, videos and books related to cinematography to help implement visual meaning for the story. This is a success because I found that the shots I chose during the pre-production phase did help create meaning to the story and to the audience during the production phase.

Another successful part of my artefact is that the shots have been followed very closely to the storyboard and to the script. When I was drafting the script and storyboard, I made sure to select shots that can create meaning in the story and referred to my research sources to make sure that the end result of the film does meet with the original project brief. The film’s pacing and overall structure also works well for a short film according to the feedback I received from peers which is good as it provides user replay-ability which opens up to opportunities including word of mouth and distribution via social media sites, allowing the film to gain popularity and notoriety.

WEAKNESSES

The weaknesses of my film include the lack of actors and extras. Looking back at the film, the actor for the teacher looks too young and the class portrayed in the scene is very minimal of only a total of 3 people in the class room. This is mainly because of budgeting issues, particularly for the character of the teacher as it will pose budgeting difficulties for casting an adult actor.

Other weaknesses in my film include a limited number of props and prosthetic make-up designs. The props I used for the murder weapon might be noticeable that it is a prop item and that I could have designed a better prop for it. Another part is that there are no visual wounds on the victim’s face despite the fact that in the narrative, it was stated that the victim had abrasions and facial wounds on his face. This could have been avoided by casting a make-up artist for the film as it will look significantly better in terms of continuity as well as to the overall look of the film.

Lastly, I personally think that the script and narrative of the film is weak and needs improving. The main protagonist might also need more development in the film for audiences to understand the character. Also, I think that there are no disruptions in the film which made it less interesting and that there is no tension with the protagonist or anything that he has to overcome which would be far more interesting when presented for the audience.

LIMITATIONS

The main limitations of my film include budget limitations and actors. Having a bigger budget would allow me to choose more selectively with the technical functions of a camera such as particular lenses that I could use to evoke more meaning behind the shot. Using a rig for the camera to be attached on for Isaac’s Mind will also make the shots better as it evokes the analytical yet surreal viewpoint of the protagonist as he approaches to solve the crime scene in his mind.

Other limitations I have include the lack of access to actors. Because I have insufficient funds to hire actors, my opportunity to use adult actors in my film is significantly reduced. This resulted in using friends as actors for the film.

WHAT WENT WELL

Looking back at the process of the film, the production phase and the post-production phase went smoothly and efficiently. During the shoot, I didn’t need any re-shoots or re-takes and I had an editing software to put the clips and audio together whilst the next shoot day was being sorted out. I made good use of the pre-production materials, particularly the script, shot list and storyboard to keep everything on track during the shoot and also for it to link well with the editing process. The overall look for the film also looks cinematic and it is exactly how I imagined it to be during the pre-production phase. Therefore overall, the production process of the project was a success and that I believe that the end result does meet with the original brief.

WHAT WENT WRONG

Things that went wrong during the process was mainly the pre-production phase. This was because most of the documents required to be revised during the production phase. These documents mainly include risk assessments and health and safety forms and most of these have been completed past the supposed deadline. This therefore resulted in the lack of organisation that needed to be done before the start of the shoot. Other complications such as initial actors had to be replaced by other actors or reschedule to another date due to bad timings and busy schedules that take place during the week. Although there were some problems that occurred during the making of the film, it was easily resolved at an efficient rate in between the production and post-production phase.

WHAT I WOULD DO DIFFERENTLY NEXT TIME

Things that could have been done differently include the casting of actors. During the casting process, I think that I wasn’t very selective when choosing actors and that I should have thought more about the actors I am casting. Although I am very happy with the cast I got, I think that I should have taken the opportunity to go to a website that lets filmmakers recruit actors to maximise the effect of immersion of the film to the audience. Other things that could have been done differently is to restructure my shot list as during in the shoot, I found myself getting confused with what to shoot next after a take on one scene which resulted in time being wasted which could have been used to film the rest of the shots.


WHAT I HAVE LEARNT FROM THE PROJECT PROCESS

I have learnt from the process that portraying certain shots for the film helps drive the narrative forward even if the audience doesn’t notice. This is because the camera techniques I used helped immerse the audience in the story which therefore shows that I have met my proposed project brief as the cinematic language and visual imagery portrayed in my film did help to communicate meaning to the audience.

I also learnt how to communicate effectively with crew members and actors which further increases my transferable social skills. I learned a great deal of responsibility as I handled all of the tasks from pre-production all the way to post-production. I have also gained more experience in cinematography as well as editing techniques which better prepares me when working with future projects as well as when working in the film industry.

Lastly, I have learnt to be more independent and working more effectively when there is a deadline set. I have gained added knowledge in scriptwriting and storytelling. I have found that the process has helped me generate a better understanding of the filmmaking process and the responsibilities a Director must handle to make an effective shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment